In Gatersleben since 1945
Employees: approx. 550
Managing Directors: Prof. Dr. Andreas Graner and
Dr. Johannes Heilmann
Production capacity: N/A, the research institute is a public law foundation
The IPK’s predecessor institute, the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Crop Plant Research, was founded in Tuttenhof (Vienna) in 1943. Following the war in 1945, the institute relocated to Gatersleben, where it was set up and developed further. In 1992, it was newly established as the Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research on the recommendation of an expert group from the Scientific Council.
The area around Nordharz and the Magdeburg Börde is the ‘cradle of German plant breeding’. Since the middle of the 19th century, the area has been intensively farmed, largely because of the dry climate which is perfect for breeding and the fantastic quality of the soil. The IPK, home to the national ex-situ gene bank for agricultural and horticultural crops, is therefore located in the perfect place for its preservation and research activities centred around ‘biodiversity and crop performance’.
Around the world the IPK is considered one of the most important research institutes in the field of crop plant research. As one of the region’s largest employers, the institute offers a broad spectrum of attractive jobs and training places. The IPK’s modern infrastructure, national and international scientific collaborations, opportunities for further training, external funding of over EUR 10 million p.a. and certification as a family-friendly employer provide the perfect conditions for work and further development, both for researchers and technical personnel from over 30 nations.
To further establish the IPK as: